University of Alabama

Hillel Student Organization

Emanuel J. Friedman Philanthropies supports Jewish student life at The University of Alabama

As the Jewish student body at The University of Alabama blossoms, Bloom Hillel continues to expand the level of quality programming and cultural activities.  As part of this expansion, Bloom Hillel has initiated learning opportunities that not only impact Jewish student life, but also provide life lessons to sustain Jewish life beyond the college environment.

Molly Horowitz prepares Shabbat dinner at Bloom Hillel.

Emanuel J. Friedman Philanthropies has provided a grant to help us reach the goal of creating a life long love of Judaism and Jewish culture in our students.  Through this grant, college juniors and seniors are learning how to plan, budget, and host home-style Shabbat dinners at Bloom Hillel.  Thus, giving students the skills to continue the Shabbat traditions in their own homes and apartments as young professionals after graduation.

Molly Horowitz, a junior from Randolph, New Jersey, hosted one of the first Emanuel J. Friedman home-style Shabbat dinners.   Molly planned her dinner and budget to provide salad, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans for more than 50 students at Bloom Hillel.  She shares the following about her experience:

Growing up, my family always had shabbat dinner together, so home-style Shabbats at UA Hillel made me feel completely at home even though I was 1,000 miles away from New Jersey. These dinners led me to so many great friends and memories that I could never thank Hillel enough for. This semester I will be traveling abroad to Seville, Spain and will miss home-style Shabbat dinners at Hillel the most!

To learn more about our home-style Shabbat program, please feel free to contact Lisa Besnoy at lisa.bamahillel@gmail.com.  Roll tide and Shabbat shalom.